June 21, 2013

Friday finds.....

This fine Friday finds me longing to just relax, hang out with my family, dabble a little bit with my vintage finds, throw something on the smoker and maybe drink a margarita, finish up some projects and  spend time with my family.  

Here's a few other finds that I thought I would share with you.....

A new magazine....
Oh how I love a new junk magazine.  This one is really good and is full of beautiful photos of different decorating styles all done with flea market finds.  It's a good read and the styling of this magazine is fabulous.  I found mine at the grocery store.  
 This page with the pretty milk glass caught my eye.  It makes me glad I saved a few of my most recent finds.
Some new supplies....
I've been doing a ton of concept sketches lately and my pens and notebooks have been scattered all over the place.  I finally placed an order at Jet Pens which is a company in the US that sells Japanese pens and pencils, journals and some great pencil cases.  I got 3 of these pencil cases, one for me and and the girls and we love them.  Nice and roomy with lots of fun pockets.  The office geek in you will love them too.
 Here's a few of the other things I got.  The FudeBall 1.5 pen is highly recommended by Dina Wakley for thick journaling lines.  I love it for making bold outlines in my sketches.  The pencil....oh that pencil.  It has a squishy soft grip and the lead advances by shaking the pencil!!  I know!  My first real boss who was an architect had one similar to this and I loved it and found one too.  That was over 20 years ago.  I was so sad when the pencil broke...or maybe I lost it.  When I saw this style at Jet Pens I knew I had to have one.  It's awesome.  The girls were mad that I didn't get them one too.  Looks like I might need to place another order soon.  The pencil case and a few fun pens and pencils would make a great back to school gift.
 This stationery set....
Could it be any cuter?  It's from One Canoe Two and has a "notes from camp" theme.  I absolutely love it.  During the Summer months, I dream of heading off to a secluded cabin in the mountains or a fun resort that used to be a Summer camp.  These fun notecards just capture that style so perfectly.  And you need to take a stroll through their blog.  These ladies took up shop in an old barn and are refurbishing it for their offices which houses their letterpress machine.  How jealous am I?
 (photo from One Canoe Two)
New in the shop.....
My little Instagrams are a popular item in my shop and I have a new set added today.  Fun little camera Instagrams that are perfect for adding to cards, Project Life pages, packaging and more.  You just cut them apart and use as you wish.
 My upcoming class.....
It's coming in July and will last all month long.  It's called Sweet Summertime and you can read all about it here.  It's offered through Gossamer Blue which is where you can purchase the kit and the separate class.
Sneak peek time....
The July Gossamer Blue kits will be available soon.  I love 'em....just like always. Jam packed full of fun crafty goodness.

Finding myself in a pickle....
Here's where I need your help.  I've had this vintage kitchen cupboard in my dining room which is open to my kitchen for a few years now.  I love it however the white paint doesn't match anything I have.  It hasn't bothered me at all but now I have a little dilemma....
 I recently acquired this old file type cabinet at a junk sale.  It's old and chippy and worn and just perfect for something I've always wanted to do.  I'm working on creating a chalkboard wall in my dining room and have always wanted a small office type station near my kitchen.  My idea is to have a place to keep a family calendar, a place to store my bills & calculator, an area to hold my chalboard supplies, maybe a place to display my cookbook collection, a place to hang keyes.  This set up below would allow me to do it all.

My dilemma is this.....I don't have another good place to put the white cupboard.  I'm seriously thinking it would make a great porch piece, used for beach towels, a radio for the pool, some outdoor entertaining items, etc.  But I don't want it to weather too much in the outdoor elements.  Also, my family is giving me the raised eyebrow look when I ask their opinion about the mock set up below.  They think it's junk, weird and another one of my hair brained ideas. Kind of like the chalkboard. Kind of like those vintage lockers that everyone thought I should paint.

But the paint matches my furniture color perfectly, the aged wood looks good with my kitchen cabinets, the galvanized metal looks good with our new stainless steel refrigerator.  This would also work great down in my basement office area.  I could definitely use the storage, etc....but I love the thought of it in my dining area with the chalkboard. But then the kitchen cupboard might belong in the kitchen.

Sooooo, I'm asking your opinion.  I need it quick.  My husband tripped over this setup below and gave me the "I know you like your junk dear, but please move your crap somewhere else" look.
Hey, have a great weekend everyone!!

11 comments:

Meredith MacRitchie said...

I knew you must be planning a chalkboard - I saw the pins!! Oh, and on the weekend I found a wall mounted match holder, which, thanks to you, I knew I could use as a chalk holder for my own future chalkboard!

So my vote is to keep the cabinet. I totally see what you're going for, and I think your pieces are beautiful, but to me, the cabinet is more kitchen-y. And where would you put all your beautiful tins, ball jars, and that scrumptious scale? I like your idea of putting it on the porch, but like you said - it might take quite a beating. I also would love a command center, so I see where you're coming from, but I think if you have another spot that would be functional as your office set up, I'd keep the cabinet as is.

I wish I lived near you - the beautiful vintage finds you come across are not to be found around my parts, it seems!

richardbreaks said...

Could you refigure some space in your cupboard for some of your things? Some of those open areas look big enough to handle some of those items. Maybe chalkboard the doors, somehow? I don't know how much you are against painting the cupboard, but maybe a tea-stain looking glaze could help tie things in. I never knew a red-painted antique piece I didn't love, either!

Barbara said...

Listen to your family on this one. Repaint the cup board?? Or maybe it is time to just move on from the piece all together and give yourself some open space! How about get a whole new dining set? Every loves a nice dining area. That should really help set your refresh button:)

Amber Sheaves said...

I really like the idea of your new center. And the mixed pieces look pretty cool together. But it seems that they are missing something to make them REALLY go together. Maybe that's why your family can't see it yet. I think it has much more character than the more traditional white cabinet. I think you should tell your hubby that if he gets to have a deer head and turkey in the other room then you get your new station!! Maybe try staging the new area with what you want to keep in it and cleaning it up a bit. Let them see what it will look like. And if they don't budge, well there's nothing stopping you from putting it all back.

Denise E said...

I love your idea and would totally love to have a chalkboard/office station in my kitchen area. I agree with Amber, if he gets the taxidermy, you get the kitchen...anyway you want it! =o) Also, I would use that white cupboard in the craft department, if you have room. It would make a great station for holding seasonal stuff or maybe a cutting station (trimmer/big kick/cricut area)...just a thought. I know you would make it cute and useful if it was there! Best of luck in finding a peaceful solution! Be sure to post pics when you're done so we can see what you come up with! Happy Weekend! =o)

Karenrhae said...

Keep the white cupboard where it is......it is just too nice to weather. Put the newly found file cabinet on the porch and let IT weather for your radio, towels, etc. The Flea Market Magazine looks like a good one. I always enjoy your Friday finds.

Suzy Girl said...

Keep the cabinet! What if you utilized the inside of the cabinet for your desk area?
- Paint chalkboard paint on inside cabinet and the section that is open.
- Attach scrapbook paper to the open section as a backdrop and could change seasonally also.
- attach cork board to the inside of the cabinet also for all your notes.

Chevonne Pannullo said...

I'm leaning with the family , too. I like the idea of painting the doors with chalkboard paint.

Cook Scrap Craft said...

I don't have much advice for your cabinet - I need help of my own decorating and revamping my own house! But I love love love love love your milk glass! I totally want some of that!

candyk said...

Move the white cabinet. Set up the "command central"--your family will soon gravitate to it, especially if the calendar is there. I can see you leaving little notes on the chalkboard for the girls, and vice verse.

I don't know how much paperwork they bring home from school, but if they have their own little section that will involve them and may make school time less hectic.

PS can't wait for class to start!

libbywilko said...

I can't wait to see what you do, I love the white kitchen hutch myself but it sounds like you really love the new things.

Related Posts with Thumbnails