August 17, 2011

Fall journal...recipe page + family page

Hi again. I'm back to show you a few pages from my Fall Mini Album Starter Kit that I embellished. I think it's always helpful to see before and after photos of how you can embellish your pages.

This first page that I embellished is actually the recipe card. Here is the before photo of the recipe card sitting blank in my mini album.
And here it is embellished + I moved the page to be adjacent to a more golden page.
This is a recipe that I always fix for family gatherings. The kiddos go nuts for this sweet & salty party mix. The typing was done with my vintage typewriter. You could easily hand write the recipe or print the recipe and adhere it...or get really creative and figure out the spacing and run the actual recipe card through your printer.
For adding details to the recipe card, I always look at the blank spaces that are leftover after the recipe is printed/typed. I used a ribbon + paper accent to add little notched strips to my recipe card. I then stitched around the entire card with brown thread using my sewing machine. Lastly, I used a little embellishment from a sheet that was in the kit to top off the card.
Now on to my next embellished page. A few posts back I showed you embellishments(shown below) that I made for my mini album using the new Gratitude Journal stamp set from PTI.
Today I'm going to use the butterfly button card that I created and add it to the back side of the recipe card. This is my completed page below. You can see that the stitching from the recipe card shows on this back side. I used that to my advantage instead of covering up the stitching. The stitching now is part of this page design.
I fancied up the butterfly button card a little bit by adding more ribbon from the kit + 1/2 of a punched cork label + a tied button from the little doodad sheet from the kit. I did a little stitching around two sides of the button card and left the ends a little long when I trimmed the threads.
A few splatters of Studio Calico Mr. Huey ink and my embellished page was almost finished. I used a little clip from the kit to accent the top of my page. It nestled just perfectly into the cut edge of my patterned paper.
For the page adjacent to this butterfly button card page, I'm planning on adding a 4 x 6 photo from our Thanksgiving dinner this year. Using the other 1/2 of the punched cork label that I used on the butterfly page I stamped the word *family* using my Hero Arts mini letter sets. To mix up the look of the word, I usually stamp my consonants in all caps and my vowels in all lowercase. Oh, how I heart these little letter stamps.
So here are the two pages side by side. The page with our family photo is actually an index divider page that comes in the kit. The plan is for my photo to be adhered to the page that measures 4 x 6, with the exception of the little tab that will stick out.
So that my photo will fit under the embellishments I'm using, I stitched the circle with the number 4 (for the # of members in my family) only on the tab part. The photo will be able to slide right under the circle embellishment. As for my stamped cork piece I will stitch that to the top of my photo (like shown above) after my photo is in place. In the meantime I'm using a small glassine sack to hold my cork embellishment until needed. I simply punched a hole so I could add it to my mini album and then sealed the end with some cute washi tape.
I hope you're inspired to create your own little mini album to celebrate the upcoming Fall season. My kit can be used for general Fall photos like leaves and trees and pumpkins...or it can become a gratitude journal...or a Thanksgiving mini book. So many possibilities. Mini albums are so much less intimidating than full blown scrapbooking. If you're new to scrapbooking but have been itching to give it a try, go for the mini albums. Kits are still available in the shop plus take a look around for other little tags, clips and tickets to add to your pages. Enjoy and thanks for stopping by!

7 comments:

Ellie said...

I am SO in love and in SHOCK this album hasn't sold out.(I mean I am crossing my fingers still for me to be able to grab one for they do) I really get so much inspiration from each of your post and thank you so much for doing this. Can't wait to see the process of your journal as you fill it up.

Sudha said...

Lovely creative creation dear.

Susi said...

I seriously love everything you create and I must try out your snack recipe. It sounds yummy. : )

kinderdi said...

Thanks for sharing such great ideas. My mom used to type all of her recipe cards, too! Looking at yours brought back memories.

Georgee said...

Great project!

Karen B said...

I just love all of your projects! Thank you so much for your inspiration!

Mary Gunn FUNN said...

Great project and lovely presentation. I have been enjoying making my own funky style book. Thanks.

Related Posts with Thumbnails